At the time of the first Hellenic Republic, when Alexandros Papanastasiou was Prime Minister, Thessaloniki became the seat of the second university of Greece. The founding of the “University of Thessaloniki”, as it was originally called, took place according to law 3341/1925. This was followed by the establishment of the Faculty of Engineering almost 30 years later (1955), when the School of Civil Engineering opened its doors to students.
Within a few years, the Faculty acquired the following Schools:
-School of Architecture (1956-57)
-School of Rural and Surveying Engineering (1962-63)
-School of Chemical Engineering (1972-73)
-School of Mechanical and Electrical Engineering (1972-73)
-Division of the School of Mechanical and Electrical Engineering into the School of Mechanical Engineering and the School of Electrical Engineering (1976-77)
-School of Mathematics, Physics and Computational Sciences (1982-83)
-The School of Electrical Engineering is renamed the School of Electrical and Computer Engineering (1993-94).
-School of Urban-Regional Planning and Development Engineering (2004).
The chief administrative body of the Faculty of Engineering is the General Assembly, while the executive body for its decisions is the Faculty Deanship, chaired by the Dean of the Faculty of Engineering.
As part of the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, the Faculty of Engineering maintains the general structure of the university, according to which it is divided into Schools, which are represented at the Deanship through their Chairs. The Schools comprise various Departments, which are supported in their research by the School Laboratories.